Supporting the Community
For many years Heather Brae Shortbreads has supported the local community by offering internships to selected students from the Food Science & Technology Degree at RMIT University. The students get to work with the Product Development and QA Team. Some of their projects include: NPD process, production trials, QA Documentation, artwork & working with our customers & suppliers.
Meet Yasi (QA Intern)
My name is Yasasvini Gangadhari Jayasinghe (I know! What were my parents thinking!). Everyone calls me Yasi. For the past few months, I have been working with the extremely talented Quality Assurance and Product Development team at Heather Brae Shortbreads and it has been a wonderful journey. I was born and raised in Colombo, Sri Lanka, aka, “The Pearl of the Indian Ocean”. In 2016, I first came to Melbourne and fell in love with its diverse culture, various foods, and beautiful wildlife. I completed my Bachelor’s degree in Food Science and Technology at Monash University, Malaysia, and will be completing my Master’s degree at RMIT University, Melbourne in a few weeks.
Here are a few facts about myself:
- I do admit I can be quite a nerd and may seem silent, and calm when you first meet me. But wait until you get to know me! I will eventually become the talkative colleague with whom you can share a laugh with.
- I chose Food Science by following my father’s footsteps and being the daughter of a brewmaster, you could say that I was born into the field. My fascination with how random ingredients react together to form our favorite foods intensified my desire to study the subject further.
- I love being introduced to new foods of different cultures and traveling has always been a passion of mine. But, during my spare time, I prefer to watch a movie or crawl into bed with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book.
- I am a fair chess player! I was introduced to the game as a 6-year-old and since then have participated in countless tournaments. Apart from that, I also have gained merits in Netball, and Athletics.
- I hope to one day develop my own food brand and I also wish to contribute to the scientific field by discovering novel methods to help reduce world hunger. Therefore, to realise these dreams, I wish to continue my studies further, while also gaining the much-needed practical experience in the field of food production.